Friday, April 1, 2011

The Hippie Hooker Strikes (one!)

First Bomb, A.K.A. Leaky 
Leaky

  After doing some research into the different types of bombs out there, I decided to make one for a hydrant, one that would look a bit like water leaking from it. So I grabbed some spare yarn, remnants of cotton yarn I had from making washcloths for myself. It happened to be "blue lagoon" color.
 

I hooked up some curly-q's on one long chain. It was no where near perfect.  That is the beauty of this.  These are going to be in the elements, rain, wind, people, sun, perfection will only last a few moments, that is to say, if it doesn't get cut down right away.

 The first yarn bomb was done.  I was very eager to get it out there, but had to wait until I could have the cover of darkness to help hide me.  After all,  The Hippie Hooker tends to stand out.  It was Tuesday past, March 29th, around 9:00.  I had to do it now, or I would never do it. Before I left, I had written up a tag, saying that the Hippie Hooker had placed it there.  And wrote a brief  sentence about yarn bombing.

I got in my car and started to drive around town to find the perfect hydrant.  As I drove, I began to realize just how many there were.  Lots! And then, there it was, like a beacon. I parked my car around the corner, shoved the bomb under my coat, and walked up to the hydrant.  

I chose to bomb the hydrant right outside the yarn store that had inspired me to start bombing in the first place.  Only problem was, there was people inside the store, I had to plant it swiftly. No hopes of ever getting a picture.  The flash in the darkness would surely alert them.

The corner was a busy intersection, with a stop light and surrounded by bars just down the street.  So swiftly I swooped in and tied it on,  I wanted a picture, needed one, but didn't want to risk giving up my identity.

The next day after work, figuring it would have been cut off, I drove down town, only to see it still there.  I had forgotten my camera and decided I didn't feel like going all the way back home and back here again, it most likely will still be there one more day.

Thursday rolls around, and again, I smile inwardly as I walked up to the Leaky with my camera to snap a shot.  A friend of mine, had just pulled up right behind me.  He was also on his way to check out "The Hippie Hooker's" handy work he had heard so much about. (That seemed like a lot of H words in that sentence!)  On our way back to our cars, we celebrated the two days of it's existence in this world with a high five!

Tonight is a bar night, and I wonder if it will make it through the onslot of college drunks.  Will they notice my pretty tendrils of Blue Lagoon? Will they like Leaky? Will they take pictures of Leaky and say that she is lovely? Or will they yank on her tendrils and the Leaky? Will it make Leaky cry real water (her tendrils could still be wet, it did rain!)? Who will comfort Leaky? Who knows?  

The bombs are never meant to be permanent.  It has been a joy to see it last this long.  So come the morning if it is gone, I will have at least have shared some of The Hippie Hookers artistic abilities with the world. 

For now, I will continue to hook on in the only legal way I know how... 

Until the next bomb goes off...... 

The H.H.


1 comment:

  1. Haha! Awesome! I love reading people's first attempts at yarn bombing and what went down. So glad your bomb has survived a few days.

    ReplyDelete